Top ten list of garden plants

  • Abutilons of all kinds
  • Buddlejas old and new
  • Epiphytic orchids and ferns
  • Gordonia species
  • Heliotrope, Lemon verbena, Fennel and herbs
  • Michelias of all sorts
  • Perennial Salvias large and small
  • Species Camellias
  • Tea and China Roses
  • Weigela of all types

Montville Rose

Monday, March 4, 2013

Persian Pickles and Welsh Pears

My usual work wear and everyday clothing consists mainly of jeans,shorts  and Indian shirts. I love those comfortable  cotton shirts and the way they soften and age. The ones I wear out in public get old and become my gardening shirts until they wear out completely.My yard clothes can be a bit of a disgrace with shirts with two buttons, torn seams and paint splatters. I get a lot of wear out of them before they finally end up as rags or straight to the bin. Sometimes I catch at look at what I have on and then I think,who cares?
I was ironing one of the 'going out' ones( I never iron yard clothes and am not a good ironer at the best of times)and I was looking closely at the paisley print. I love that stuff . It is so detailed and organic. Apparently these droplet shaped patterns were of Persian and Indian origin. The shapes  also known as Persian pickles and Welsh Pears and have been uses since 1888.(My source is wikipedia so it may be complete rubbish)

Speaking of not dressing up to work. I sometimes go on one of the great walks from Baroon Pocket Dam to Kondallila Falls or one of the others and I tend to just wear the gardening clothes . The walks are not so far that I need to take water and as I walk quickly I don't intend to stop along the way.
What amazes me is just how over prepared some people are to go for a walk. They carry water which is ok but the outdoor outfits and equipment is sometimes quite staggering. One particular young man had a full piece coloured suit laden with zips and pockets , nifty backpack ,water  sipper pack  and solid  lace up hiking boots and while I was standing at the side of the track catching my breath in thin shirt and shorts ,worn out runners and mouldy hat ,he could have been in the catalogue for aKathmandu sale. I can only hope that he was trying his stuff out for a big trek in the Andes and not just making his way to Mapleton Falls.
Here's to fast walking
Kyleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment